As the library for Western Sydney University (WSU), Western Library has a worldwide reputation for leadership in information, spaces, collections and people. With a busy and expanding footprint across Greater Western Sydney – one of Australia’s fastest growing economic regions – Western Library is an exciting place to be. Ranked amongst the top two per cent of universities in the world, WSU values academic excellence, integrity and the pursuit of knowledge. Western Library is key to the University’s creating unlimited opportunities for students and staff to reach their potential. Western Library succeeds with Western Sydney.
About the role
The University Librarian is responsible for University-wide copyright and The Whitlam Prime Ministerial Collection as well as core collection services operating at scale. Its broad support extends to all academic staff and students, including research performance and activities, joint venture operations and The College. Covering seven campuses, Western Library services eight million item downloads and 2 million visits per annum. The University Librarian leads an enthusiastic team of 7 direct reports and a total staff of 130+. Reporting to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice President (Academic) the University Librarian leads mutually beneficial relationships across the university, with the executive, Deans of Schools and IT services and the Research and Innovation portfolio. Stand out features of Western Library include:
- New world-class university campus being designed for Bankstown CBD;
- Study Smart online assignment and literacies help, cited in the NMC Horizon Report 2017 Higher Education Edition;
- John Phillips Library headquarters on Penrith campus placed first in the academic category of the 2017 Australian Library Design Awards;
- Leadership of the digital text initiative which provides free access for commencing first year students; and
- The library is ISO 9001:2015 certified to ensure quality of its operations.
The right candidate
The next University Librarian will have the ability to respond to the needs and priorities of a complex university environment, and can conceptualise, lead and execute a high-quality, sector-leading set of broad services, working in collaboration with the library team and a range of internal and external stakeholders.
To learn more and to apply
All enquiries are to be directed to the search firm assisting the university in this appointment, and may be contacted via:
Dr Rosalind De Sailly
T: 0414 574 945
Applications for the position should include the following personal details:
- full name
- contact telephone numbers
- confidential email address
- nationality and citizenship
Applications should also include:
- a brief covering letter detailing your leadership and management experience relevant to the position
- a full curriculum vitae
- a concise statement addressing the attributes outlined above, citing evidence and examples to support your claims
- the full contact details of three referees who may be contacted by the University. Please state your relationship with the referees and rationale for their nomination. The referees will only be contacted with your approval. Please ensure that the referees are willing to speak on your behalf. Input from other people may be sought as part of the due diligence process.
Applications must be submitted via WesternLibrary@desailly.com.au
For other opportunities see our postings here.