Congratulations to Vice-Admiral Paul Maddison on his appointment as the Director of the Defence Research Institute at UNSW Canberra. Vice-Admiral Maddison was previously the High Commissioner to Australia for the Canadian Government, and former Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy.
Through the UNSW Defence Research Institute, UNSW aspires to be known internationally for its broad based defence research, with domains of excellence based on specific cross-disciplinary applications such as space, cyber security, systems engineering, logistics, defence-related public-sector management, and conflict studies. The Director is responsible for translating this vision into reality.
The inaugural Director will foster Defence research and associated postgraduate education across UNSW Canberra, increasing both the volume and quality of both.
Duties of the role include:
- Identify and exploit opportunities for funding of high-impact defence research, with both industry and government;
- Create a high profile for UNSW and the UNSW Defence Research Institute with government and industry;
- Provider leadership for defence-related research activities across UNSW;
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the UNSW Defence Research Institute; and
- Develop strong linkages with researchers across UNSW, nationally and internationally.
For other opportunities see our postings here.