About the opportunity
XJTLU is seeking an academic leader with a record of successful design and execution of strategy at scale, who is able to lead in a prestigious but also dynamic and contemporary academic environment.
About Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is China’s leading Joint Venture university. Founded in 2006, it now has almost 15,000 students in China; and another 3,500 in Liverpool completing degrees. It plans to grow to about 27,000 students by 2025. The strengths of the university are in Science and Technology, as well as some professional subjects like Architecture and Business. There are currently 865 academic staff, about half of whom are not citizens of the People’s Republic of China (PRC). The language of instruction, committees, and administrative work at XJTLU is English.
The university is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China, including nearby Shanghai. SIP is a significant growth zone, including operations run by more than one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has been on the receiving end of both private and public investments into innovation and R&D.
The School of Languages teaches English for Academic Purposes, Chinese, Japanese and Spanish. The School is committed to excellence in technology-enhanced language learning and teaching-led research. There are 253 members of academic staff. It has two constituent centres each led by a Director and a Centre Management Team/CMT: the English Language Centre/ELC (212 academic members of staff) and the Modern Languages Centre/MLC (41 academic members of staff). As all XJTLU students take EAP in Years 1 and 2 student numbers are in excess of 4000 just in the first year. The School of Languages is in an exciting moment of success and growth and this is a particularly attractive role for the person appointed.
What you will bring to the role
The right candidate will have
• A strong track record of success in all forms of HE management but particularly in the area of people management with an emphasis on building strong teams and processes or systems that support career development and enable staff through PDRs. This includes conducting difficult conversations and, if appropriate, disciplinary hearings;
• An internationally distinguished profile in EAP and/or Modern Languages and a strong commitment to teaching-led research and innovation in education with special reference to technology-enhanced language learning and the provision of an outstanding student experience;
• Be able both to enhance and implement an existing strategic vision for the School that aligns with University strategy;
• Substantial experience in innovative curriculum and programme development in EAP and/or Modern Languages;
• Experience managing and planning budgets as well as networking an academic unit internally and externally to build brand and profile;
• Experience working within a thriving multicultural environment as a model intercultural ambassador for staff and students alike;
• An ability to lead, uplift and inspire academic staff from within the school, across the four languages currently taught.
To learn more, and to apply
To obtain full details and for a confidential discussion, prospective candidates should contact Rosalind De Sailly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full applications will be considered on a continuing basis until the position is appointed.