About the opportunity
The newly established Division of External Engagement brings together the disciplines of communications, fundraising and development, and events and hospitality to create an exciting service for UNSW Sydney.
Reporting to the Vice President of External Engagement, the Chief Development Officer will be accountable for developing and delivering the fundraising strategy for one of the world’s top 50 universities. They will be tasked with developing an inspiring and compelling ‘case for support’ in areas where UNSW is seeking philanthropic investment for our teaching and research; areas such as: climate change, cancer, human rights, quantum computing, solar technology.
The Chief Development Officer will work closely with one of Australia’s leading philanthropists, UNSW Chancellor, David Gonski AO, as well as an esteemed Foundation Board and members of the university’s Senior Leadership Team including the Vice Chancellor. The role will involve setting and delivering a five- year strategy, raising around $50 million per year. The Chief Development Officer will have 8 direct reports.
What you will bring to the role
The right candidate will have
- A relevant degree and proven track record in fundraising leadership; at least 7 years’ experience with significant fundraising achievements, ideally in a university environment or comparable organisation.
- Extensive experience managing and directing fundraising campaigns with multiple and complex case priorities and various internal and external stakeholders where significant fundraising targets have been achieved or exceeded.
- Extensive leadership and management experience in philanthropy and with a strong track record in setting strategy and in delivering against specific targets.
- A knowledge of major issues in the Australian and international tertiary education sector, particularly In the Asia Pacific region, and an appreciation of the associated political, diplomatic and social environment.
- Outstanding stakeholder and relationship management skills with an ability to establish and maintain effective internal and external networks.
- A successful record of innovation and leading change.
To learn more, and to apply
To obtain full details and for a confidential discussion, prospective candidates should contact Dr Rosalind De Sailly via email at CDO-UNSW@desailly.com.au